Tattoos as Fashion Statement

As we’ve been reading through fashion and style blogs, we’ve been pondering the role of tattoos as a component of personal style. We know that body ink is everywhere; in fact, we both have tattoos that that we got together — they are small, mostly covered up, and, of course, chic. But our tattoos aren’t really part of our personal style since they aren’t visible.

We’re really thinking more about those women whose tattoos are visible. We’re thinking about fashionistas like these:

tattoos collage

1 / 2 / 3

Jeanne says: I think tattoos are a fashion statement in that they are body adornment just like jewelry and clothes. Those who have tattoos make a deliberate choice to get “inked” in a way that the world can see and usually see their tattoos as an extension of their beliefs, personal experiences, etc. Isn’t this the same role that clothes and accessories play for each of us? We make a decision to get our ears or noses pierced, we choose to be goth or preppy or sporty. To me, it’s all the same. I personally think that small visible tattoos are attractive and can enhance the look of an ankle, finger or inner wrist. Here are a few of my favorites from Pinterest:

Jeanne tattoo

1 / 2 / 3

Kate says: I agree that tattoos are definitely a fashion statement, albeit a permanent one. Tattoos are essentially an accessory that you choose wear forever — hence why deciding to get one is a big decision. You have to live with it for the rest of your life! Visible tattoos especially come to define your appearance to everyone you meet.

I probably like tattoos more that Mom realizes. Especially when a tattoo both represents something meaningful and also is visually appealing. In fact… I am planning to get another tattoo at some point in the near future, and one that is more visible than my first one. Here are some examples that really hit that “beautiful tattoo” mark for me:

kate tattoo

1 / 2 / 3

How do you feel about tattoos as a fashion statement?

Follow us! Bloglovin | Facebook | Kate’s Instagram | Jeanne’s Instagram |

Kate’s Pinterest | Jeanne’s Pinterest

7 Comments on Tattoos as Fashion Statement

1. Robin Moll
    November 1, 2013 at 11:40 am (3 years ago)

I’m compelled to respond. I don’t agree that tattoos are a fashion statement. They are literally branding yourself forever!! What words and/or images can possibly remain meaningful for YOUR WHOLE LIFE (with the possible exception of Desiderata :-)!) And why put something on your back that you can neither see yourself NOR see the reactions of others who see it because you are walking away from them. Is this an attempt to have the last word? Personally, I more often react to tattoos with an “ouch” than an “ahhh.” The list of things that can go wrong is endless…just ask Adie’s friend who was the producer of Season 1 of Spike’s Ink Master! So, if you must tattoo, be sure to research the artist carefully and think about exactly why you are doing this to your body. Wouldn’t a custom made t-shirt be just as effective in conveying whatever message you hope to send? As you can tell, I’m not a fan.

• janj913
      November 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm (3 years ago)

Robin – Well, they still are a fashion statement, albeit a permanent one. I think the whole tattoo thing is seen differently by different generations. Our generation sort of associates them with motorcycle clubs and maybe extreme hippiedom, but the majority of the fashionistas are much younger and have a different point of view. We wrote this post to generate some conversation about this and you have kicked off the discussion with style!!

2. Style Me Thrifty (@stylemethrifty)
    November 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm (3 years ago)

Ahhh, tattoos. Def a sensitive topic! I’m pretty much indifferent about them — but wanted to point out that I don’t view them in the same category as accessories. My accessories aren’t permanent! Thank goodness or else I’d have to wear my favorite childhood scrunchie and “best friends” necklace for the rest of my life. Anyway, fashion changes so much, it’s impossible for me to think about committing to 1 accessory or style forever. So I can’t imagine having the nerve to pick a tattoo! ~Madeline

3. Lisa
    November 5, 2013 at 5:59 pm (3 years ago)

I am so happy that someone has finally taken on this ”issue”. I myself have multiple tattoos, some small, and some well-pretty noticeable. I have noticed for a while that I haven’t been able to spot many (or any for that matter) of bloggers with ink. I am not a outfit poster so there really isnt much need for me to worry. However, I have found myself pondering the issue of would I feel bad about showing my ink if I ever did have to. Thank you for bringing this question to the table. It really is a fascinating topic to say the least.

• admin
      November 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Lisa! We’ve spotted a few tattooed fashion bloggers (like Erin at Simply Just Lovely) whose very visible tattoos have really become part of their personal style. Please share if you stumble on any more!

4. Arash Mazinani
    November 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm (3 years ago)

Congrats on the links à la mode that’s how I found your blog. I have a couple of tattoos and really like them. I love women with tattoos and as long as it’s a true expression of their personality and character, it’s been well thought about and done by someone who genuinely loves the art then I’m all for them.

5. Jean of all Trades
    November 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm (3 years ago)

Interesting topic. I view my tattoos as art. I chose very talented artists to draw something beautiful and meaningful and put it on my body. My mom always points out that my tattoos “match” my outfits–but that was never my intention! I guess you could call them accessories. Unlike accessories though, my tattoos have a deeper meaning (family, history, beliefs) that are important to me. I don’t put as much thought into an accessory I can take off when trends change.