Most of us are in the midst of putting away our heavy winter clothes and pulling out the summer wardrobe, right? It is always exciting to hit that point in the year – especially if we’ve been doing a little spring/summer shopping in advance. But at the same time, it is a big CHORE to make the switch – stuffing heavy clothes into garment bags (or under-the-bed storage) and pulling out wrinkled summer items. We have just a few tips for making the switch as painless as possible:
- First, just because we are sick of winter clothes doesn’t mean we should neglect them. You should make sure they are washed or dry cleaned before they are put away (you’ll be grateful when you pull them out in October!). This is particularly important for those coats you wore every day this winter.
- Also make sure you store clothes in closed containers and use those cedar balls to keep them safe from moths!
- If you have any items from your winter wardrobe that you realize you never wore… now is the time to clear them out! Try selling them online (Tradesy and Poshmark are two really great options) or in a consignment store, give them to a friend or donate them to Goodwill.
Onto the spring clothes:
- Rule #1: If you are pulling out items you never wore all of last year, it is time to do one of several things: 1) Take them to Goodwill or consign or sell them (see last item above!) or 2) Alter them so that you WILL wear them.
- Rule #2: As you pull clothes out, check for rips, missing buttons, undone hems (for shoes, check whether heels need replacing or shoes need polishing). Fix those yourself or take them to an alterations person NOW so you can enjoy them the whole season.
- Rule #3: Consider whether any of last year’s apparel can be repurposed to be more stylish this year. Wide pants could become culottes, maxi skirts can become midi skirts, short sleeves can become cap sleeves, etc. If you think so, see your friendly tailor or get out that sewing machine.
Have fun making your transition from winter to summer clothes!
Are you switching out your wardrobe? How do you tackle this chore?
Linking up with Random Wednesday, I Feel Pretty, Wardrobe Wednesday, Style Me Wednesday, Sydney Fashion Hunter, What I Wore to Work, Spotlight Weekly, Thursday Fashion Files, Throwback Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things.