1 / 2
Maybe it is because I don’t get invited to lots of fancy parties in the holiday season, but I’ve never understood the extensive marketing chatter about sequins and glittery apparel at this time of the year. I mean, life has gotten more casual and less dressy, hasn’t it? What is the point of buying a sequin dress or a shiny top to wear just once a year? Sure, some of us made an investment in one of these fancy items and we’ve worn them year after year, but that is the exception, isn’t it?
So how do we make festive holiday outfits without investing in new, sparkly apparel? I have a few ideas.
- Start with your best black pants. You can never go wrong with classic black on the bottom – you could even use a $15 tulle skirt or a pair of joggers. Add your favorite top – no, not your comfy flannel shirt – but a classic white shirt or a silk top you love. You can even use a pretty sweater. Consider wearing a cardigan backwards!
- Now turn to your accessories. We all have some rhinestones, sparkly statement necklaces and chandelier earrings – even costume jewelry brooches! Now turn to the mirror – using pictures from magazines or your favorite bloggers – and think how to use your jewelry creatively. Double or triple up those statement necklaces. Pin multiple brooches on your right shoulder. Twist your favorite sparkly necklace around a head band and create a fancy hair adornment. Pin sparkly clip-on earrings to the top of your plain black pumps.
- At this point, you got the basics under control. Now consider the rest: shoes, outerwear and your handbag. I recommend simple black pumps or black sandal heels from summer, but don’t be afraid to try your brightest dressy footwear – animal print, metallic, even a brightly colored suede pump.
- Outerwear can be almost any kind of shawl or light jacket assuming you have someone to drop you at the door where your holiday party is being held. Nothing dressy enough in your closet? Run out to Joann’s Fabrics and buy a few yards of netting in a jewel tone and throw it around your shoulders!
- Dig through your clutches and find a brightly colored one you can use. Put one of your brooches on the outside. You don’t have the right bag? Check with your friends – trust us, SOMEBODY has a sparkly bag!
You may be thinking that, by now, you’ll look way overdressed or over-accessorized. We’re sure you’ll have the good judgement to know when you look party-ready. The bottom line is to use what you already have combined with your imagination. You’ll be amazed by the final result. And don’t forget that this same approach can be taken with other items you already have. Take that black blazer hanging in your closet – did you ever consider wearing it out at night without a shirt or blouse underneath? Just sayin’.
If you DO need to add some great basics to your wardrobe, here are some great options:
Follow us! Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter
Kate’s Instagram | Jeanne’s Instagram | Pinterest
Linking up with What I Wore, What I Wore to Work, Fashion Friday, #iwillwearwhatilike, Visible Monday, Sophisticated Style.