Two Take on Style Is Trying to Get Its Groove Back!

Dump A Day Funny Pictures Of The Day - 63 Pics:

Oh my goodness.  Back in the beginning of August I felt certain that I would quickly get back into the blogging groove – in between carrying around my new grandson and putting the touches on our new apartment.  It didn’t happen.

Instead I spent my time with my daughter and grandson, fiddling around with apartment decor (and driving my husband mad), and exercising.  Oh yeah – and looking at ALL the clothes in my closet and wondering when I would ever wear them again.  I dressed up once or twice and even threw a few things up on Instagram.  But that wasit!

I am still pondering the “dressing up” question.  The non-work world – and even the work world – are super casual and my extensive wardrobe is definitely NOT.  What to do?  And what is really true to who I am today?

Oh, and by the way, who AM I truly today?  I now can see how easy it is to simply drift into retirement. Since I am in a new city, I don’t have any friends to distract me – just the aforementioned daughter, grandson, and husband.  I run a few errands, undertake a leisurely exercise session, catch up on blogs and world news, maybe help out my daughter for a bit and…the day is gone.  Two months into retirement and I can clearly see how this might be my destiny unless I decide otherwise.  I have friends who’ve become artists, fiction writers, and even yogis after retirement.  How did they manage to become someone new, I wonder?

The future of the blog is related to how I answer that question for myself.  This I DO know.  I’ll be back soon to muse a little further on that question – and to share a little fashion with you.

Follow us! Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter

Kate’s Instagram | Jeanne’s Instagram | Pinterest

8 Comments on Two Take on Style Is Trying to Get Its Groove Back!

1. Michelle Braverman
    September 12, 2016 at 2:38 pm (6 months ago)

Not sure where you are but suspect it’s in or near a big city? Check if there is a branch of Dress for Success. It’s a great organization, and the only volunteer work I have ever truly enjoyed. I bet you would be fabulous and love it.

• Jeanne
      October 30, 2016 at 10:44 am (5 months ago)

Michelle – Unfortunately I am in a smaller city – the first time in my life – and I haven’t found Dress for Success if it IS here. But I keep searching and that is what counts. Thanks, Jeanne

2. Frances/Materfamilias
    September 12, 2016 at 3:54 pm (6 months ago)

It will happen. . . Adding a move to the big change that retirement already is means that you’ve thrown all the usual guides out the window or up in the air. . . .Now you have a (somewhat intimidating) chance to listen to your own body, mind, and soul, to find what really pleases you. After a lifetime of external schedules and goals and social networks which offer/impose roles, that will take time to ease into. But I’m beginning to find how rich the possibilities can be. . . and how scary. . . and exhausting. . . and exhilarating. I’m quite sure you will too, and I look forward to reading about that process when you’re ready to write here again.

• Jeanne
      October 30, 2016 at 10:42 am (5 months ago)

Frances – Actually its the combo of the move, retirement AND this new grandchild. It is most important these days to be able to say to my daughter: “how can I help?” and to know I can make a difference for her as she returns to work. Have a wonderful time in Bordeaux! Jeanne

3. Mother & Daughter
    September 14, 2016 at 5:29 pm (6 months ago)

You are so right about just drifting into retirement. I retired last Nov. and I can’t believe it has been almost a year. Husband retired 7 wks ago and that just makes time go faster. Good luck on finding your new self, it isn’t easy.

• Jeanne
      October 30, 2016 at 10:37 am (5 months ago)

Time DOES fly! The problem is that we were never given permission to simply “waste” time – we were working, raising children, racing from place to place. Now we have some time to waste and we feel guilty for wasting it. But I’m somewhat content wasting time looking into the eyes of my new grandson right now, so there’s that. Thanks for reading. Jeanne

4. Shelly
    September 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm (6 months ago)

Good luck! I am four years in and still figuring it out. Actually, beginning to panic. Eagerly await your take on this.

• Jeanne
      October 30, 2016 at 10:33 am (5 months ago)

Shelly – Sorry for my tardy reply. It is so interesting. One day I think I can see the path of my retirement life and the next day it falls away. There are very few role models for us retired working women! Jeanne